Zesty Carrot Salad | ChopChop
This is a simple salad—a classic in France—that makes the most of the sweetness and crunch of the carrots. It makes a wonderful side dish for any meal you’d typically serve with slaw.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Box grater (adult needed)
Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Put all the ingredients in the bowl and mix well. Now taste the salad. Does it need more parsley, lemon juice, mustard, or a pinch of salt or pepper? If so, add it and taste again.
- Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to overnight.
- 1/2 pound zucchini or apples for 1/2 pound carrots.
- lime, grapefruit, or orange juice for the lemon juice.
- chopped fresh basil, cilantro, or mint leaves for the parsley leaves or carrot tops.
- Make it nutty: Sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts or almonds.
- Make it seedy: Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin or sesame seeds.
- Make it substantial: Add 2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans).
- Make it sweet: Add 1/4 cup raisins, dried cranberries, or currants.
- Make it sharp: Add 4 scallions (green onions), greens and whites, thinly sliced.
- Make it creamy: Add 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste) and/or plain yogurt.