Red Beans and Rice | ChopChop
Rice and beans is a tasty, filling meal. And it’s inexpensive to make! The expression “I don't know beans” means “I know very little” because beans cost so little.
Medium-size pot with lid
Sharp knife (adult needed)
- To make the rice: Put the rice and water in the pot and set it on the stove. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. (You'll know the water is boiling when you see bubbles breaking all over the surface.)
- Turn the heat down to low, cover the pot, and steam for 30 minutes. Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, make the beans: Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium-low. When the skillet is hot, add the oil.
- Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, and 2 tablespoons water. Cook until the mixture is golden, softened, and almost gooey, about 10 minutes. Add more water if it is getting too dry.
- Add the tomato, spices, beans, salt, and remaining 1 ½ cups water and cook until the beans are very soft, 20–30 minutes.
- Fluff the cooked rice with the fork and divide among the bowls. Top with equal amounts of the bean mixture.
- Top with the avocado and sprinkle with cilantro (if you like).