Here are ChopChop, we celebrate healthy and delicious food everyday. We love when there’s even more reason to celebrate, with a wacky, fun food holiday. January has many food holidays and with cold weather outside around most of the country, there’s even more opportunity to stay in and celebrate by cooking a nice, warm meal. We’ll be celebrating all month long and giving you ideas on ways to celebrate with us and of course, some recipes to try with your family!
January 31 is National Hot Chocolate Day. While the powdery mix hot chocolate you get in packets may be super fast, we promise this Hot Cocoa recipe is worth the wait. This very rich and satisfying winter drink is not as sweet as what you're used to. It's all about the chocolate flavor, not the sugar. Plus, if you’re feeling daring and you like spicy flavors, you can even add a little bit of chili powder. Cool! (And Hot!)
HOT COCOA, MEXICAN STYLE
- Small saucepan
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Whisk or fork
- 1 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons honey or sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch chili powder (if you like)
- Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
- Put the milk in a small saucepan and put the saucepan on the stove.
- With the help of your adult, turn the heat to low and cook until the milk is very warm, about 3 minutes. Don't let it boil or burn! (If you like, you can put the milk in a microwavable container and heat to very warm).
- Turn the heat off and add the cocoa powder, honey (or sugar), vanilla extract and cinnamon and the chili powder (if you like spicy). Using a whisk or fork, whip until the top is frothy. Serve right away.